Criminal Defense

What should I do if I am arrested?

If you are placed under arrest, you should cooperate with the arresting officer and go quietly with the police. If you attempt to escape or resist your arrest, this may be used at a later proceeding as evidence of guilt. You should not speak to the police or anyone other than an attorney about the crime with which you have been charged. What you say at the time of your arrest often times can mean the difference between being found guilty or not guilty of a crime. You should give the police only your name and your address, and you should immediately ask to speak to your attorney.

Why should I refrain from speaking with the police?
In many instances, the police may have enough evidence to obtain an arrest warrant, while at the same time, have insufficient evidence with which to obtain a conviction. If you make a statement to the police, it may give the prosecutor the extra evidence necessary to convict you. Additionally, in many instances, the police officers testimony at trial regarding what was said by you during questioning differs from your recollection. The police cannot use the fact that you refused to speak with them in the absence of an attorney as evidence of guilt.

Why do the police read me my rights?
The United States Constitution gives you the absolute right to remain silent. Anything that you say or provide to the police in the form of a written statement can be used against you at trial. You should always exercise your constitutional right to remain silent and you should not speak with the police about any alleged crime until you have been provided the opportunity to speak with an attorney.

If I am guilty of what is alleged, why should I hire an attorney? Would it be cheaper to just admit guilt and accept punishment?
The Constitution requires that the prosecutor present evidence that proves your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. There are many instances when a defendant has actually committed the alleged crime, but has, nonetheless, been found not guilty because the prosecution failed to meet its burden. If you desire to plead guilty, it should be done only after consulting with an attorney and having your options explained to you. Many times, plea bargains can be worked out with the prosecution which reduce the severity of the alleged crime and/or resulting punishment.


Monday8:30AM - 5:00PM
Tuesday8:30AM - 5:00PM
Wednesday8:30AM - 5:00PM
Thursday8:30AM - 5:00PM
Friday8:30AM - 5:00PM


Irwin Office

226 Main Street, Suite 1,

Irwin, PA 15642

Phone. 724-836-0700

Fax. 724-836-1995


Leechburg Office

157 Market Street,

Leechburg, PA 15656

Phone. 724-845-8339

Fax. 724-836-1995


Greensburg Office

11 North Main Street,

Greensburg, PA 15601

Phone. 724-836-0700

Fax. 724-836-1995